Monday, March 11, 2013

I'm no June Cleaver

How many times do we look at another woman who seemingly has it all together, then berate ourselves for not measuring up?  How many times do we try to give that put together look to the world when inside we are a total mess?

Why do we pretend?  Why can't we show our family and friends our strengths AND our weaknesses?  I saw something on Facebook a few weeks ago and wish I could remember where I saw it.  But it went something like this:  You are the perfect mom for your children.  God knew exactly what they would need and you have all of those qualities.  

Are we perfect?  Absolutely not!  But don't you think the God of the universe knew what he was doing when he chose you to be their mom?  And don't you think it's the same for your husband?  God made you uniquely "you" for a purpose.

Psalm 139:13-14 NIV
For you created my inmost being;  you knit me together in my mother’s womb.  I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

So why do we fall into the "June Cleaver Syndrome" trap as Darlene calls it?  "So many of us want to be a good wife and mother, but we can't help feeling that we never meet our own expectations, let alone anyone else's."

We all have plenty of room to improve.  But instead of focusing on the negatives, why don't we focus on the good stuff and praise God for the things we do get right.  And then pray that He will equip us to do the other stuff that we can't do alone in our own power.  And... stop comparing ourselves to others.


Galatians 6:4-5 NIV
Each one should test their own actions. Then they can take pride in themselves alone,without comparing themselves to someone else, for each one should carry their own load.

Fearfully and wonderfully made to be you, no one else.


No comments:

Post a Comment