Monday, March 18, 2013

Only For A Season

Children are a wonderful blessing from God.  To think that He entrusted me to care for and train my two children is completely awesome.  And it can be awesomely hard and challenging.  I want to be the best mother I can for them.  I want our home to be a safe haven and orderly.  But sometimes, with young children, an orderly house is next to impossible.

In this season of our lives, I feel like it is more important for me to spend quality time with them - playing with them, teaching them, talking with them, reading to them, comforting them - than flipping out because the house is not spotless and orderly.  What will they remember?  Parents who took the time to really be with them or a spotless home?

This weekend, we were out of town and spent one night at a hotel.  That night, all my daughter wanted was to go home and sleep in her bed.  She didn't care that our house may be disorderly.  She wanted to be where she felt safe and nurtured.

Yes, we must take care of the home and things God has blessed us with in this life.  Yes, we have to make sure our homes are safe and sanitary.  Yes, we must teach our children how to clean and care for their belongings.  But God does not want us freaking out because the house is messy.  Remember, it's just for a season.

When I was reading Chapter Nine, the story of Mary and Martha came to mind.  Although Mary should have been helping Martha in the home preparing everything for their special guests, Mary knew there was something much more important.  Jesus wanted her to be in His presence and listen to him teach.

Luke 10:38-42 NIV
As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."

When our children are young, it is more important that we train them up.  We have been given a huge responsibility to guide and direct them to the one true God and the path to salvation.  This is our ultimate goal.  Not a home straight from the pages of Better Homes and Gardens.

No comments:

Post a Comment