Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Self Control

Even though I may be "domestically challenged," it doesn't mean I can't strive to improve my efforts.  If we want the fruits of the Spirit, we must practice self-control - in every part of our life including our weaknesses.

"The fact that I'm not a clean freak doesn't give me a ticket to be lazy in that area of my life. Scripture after scripture tells me that I'm called to be self-controlled in every area of my life."

Proverbs 25:28 NIV
Like a city whose walls are broken through is a person who lacks self-control.

Galatians 5:22-23 NIV
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

Our Spirit will wrestle with out flesh time and time again.  But just as an athlete must train for a race, we must constantly exercise self-control so our Spirit wins out.  Will the journey to overcome our weaknesses be tough?  Yes!  Will it be worth it?  Most definitely!

"Ruling our spirit isn't any easier than training our body to run a marathon. It takes patience, repetition, exercise, and action. Those who are domestically challenged need to stay focused and avoid the temptation to let the mess get out of control."

I will end with these words written by Paul in Philippians, 3:12-14.  "Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

No comments:

Post a Comment